Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why spend so much time on this stuff?

I am often asked why I spend so much time on this learning network stuff. In her post, Starting Your Learning Network, Christine Hollingsworth does a brilliant job of answering the question.
"For me, I just can't stop learning. It's what is recharging me professionally right now. Connecting with people from outside of family and consumer sciences and career education has allowed me to consider a variety of perspectives in a non-threatening way. More than once I've read someone's blog post, Twitter message, or listened to a podcast that has challenged my thinking. This is a good thing for someone who has been in education for over 20 years now. Maybe it will be a good thing for you, too."
Thanks so much Christine for saying it so well! I feel exactly the same way. I am hungry to learn and my PLN helps me to do that. The more I learn, the hungrier I am for more. It is a good thing that learning is completely calorie free!

Image Source: The Passage of Time from ToniVC's photostream on Flickr

1 comment:

3girlsmomma said...

I have taught secondary students for 15 years now and I have to agree with this post with delight.

Web 2.0 now going 3.0 in the classroom is a challenging yet exciting time for education. I have always enjoyed the power of the Internet being one who remembers when the PC came out. I'm 41 years old. I distinctly recall going from paper/pencil composition to wordprocessing from idea thru to publication. Now, we have mobile and web-based everything that WOW... I'm being stretched and limited only by my imagination. Of course, then I just tap in to the collective brains of others in my PLN. Isn't it GRAND?