Monday, October 13, 2008

Flipping for my Flip Video Camera

I just received my new Flip Mino video camera and so far I am loving it. It worked right out of the box, just turn it on and press record. It is easy to use, works in low light and the sound quality seems pretty good. Connecting it to my Vista PC was easy, I could see and make simple edits to the clips using software running right on the camera. The software is fine for basic editing and sharing, but not robust enough for a more intricate video project.

On my Mac running Leopard I had to install a Quicktime patch (right from the phone). The Flip software ran on my Mac, but I was also able to import the clips to iMovie 6 and edit them from there. (I downloaded iMovie 6 from the Apple Website, since the new iMovie is really bad). Here is a short video I made, my kids (Ben - 6 and Abby - 4) star in the video (with me in a supporting role) and they did all of the filming.

Take Me Out To The Ball Game (Go Sox)

6 comments:

MKreul said...

Love my new Flip also. Just filmed nephew's volleyball game then burned to CD for grandma and grandpa to watch - way easy and cool!!

Also went to download iMove 6, not crazy about 8.

BTW, love the song!

Mary

Anonymous said...

The Flip is so easy. We ordered a bunch of them for students to use. They are so much easier than the fancy mini DV cameras.

Patti Harju said...

I have one in my classroom too. Kids love it. Is was funny to watch one little girls movie - she moved around so much that we got seasick!

teacher bytes said...

I have been using Flips for about a year now and love it. Many teachers at my school have either purchased one or plan to. Very easy to use.

CHRISK said...

Ahh..a new gadget. I'll have to write a WEF Grant -- this sounds like it has a lot of potential. Why aren't you singing????

Susankindergarten said...

I have had my Flip only for a couple of months. It is so easy to use as well as get the videos off of the camera and onto the computer. I like that the battery is charged via the USB port. I also like how it is compact and literally fits in my pocket, so I can keep it with me during the day at school. This gives me the chance to capture those priceless, spontaneous teachable moments.
I have recorded a field trip to a local grocery store after reading the book, Stone Soup. Then I recorded the sequence of making stone soup in our classroom. Last, I recorded eating the soup as a class. I would like to make our video into a movie and burn it on a CD for my students' families.
The way I plan on letting my students use the Flip is by securing it on my tripod with the threaded tripod mount on the bottom of the camera. All the students have to do is to aim the camera and push the record button.