Saturday, June 14, 2008

Trickle Down Tech-inomics

I have been working at a grassroots level to help teachers find ways to incorporate 21st century tools into their curriculum. I've made great progress with many teachers and they are spreading the word to their colleagues. The movement is growing and at the level of teacher and student we are making a difference. That is where it matters and slowly change is happening.

I think it is now time for administrators to come on board. To truly make a difference, superintendents, principals, and department heads need to start blogging, podcasting, and participating in social networks like Twitter and Ning. We need to gear some of our technology professional development to the needs of administrators. Andrew Torres wrote a great post about Why School Leaders Should Blog. He articulates well the benefits that blogging brings to the entire school community. Dennis Richards is an excellent example of a school superintendent who is leading the way for his district.

How do we get school leaders to see these benefits? Are your district leaders using these tools? Do you have ideas about ways to make this happen? Please share them here.

Photo Credit: Trickle Down the Mountain from gkaren96's Flickr photostream

7 comments:

Carolyn Foote said...

Liz,

One thing I think is that we need to invite them in--people like tech coordinators and librarians on campuses need to be constantly sharing what's going on with the admininistrators in their school, so they are at least aware.

In our district, one thing that has helped make powerful inroads is having some book studies. Although this evolved somewhat organically, by reading things like Whole New Mind, Five Minds for the Future, World is Flat together, as administrative and leadership teams, it has provided some common ground for the discussion of issues facing our students in the future.

I think it's really helped affect the mindset and inspired our leadership.

So while I do think having their hands "on the tools" is important, I think that being aware of the reasons for them and of making inroads for students is even more important?

My two cents worth this morning :)

Lisa Parisi said...

In my district, my superintendent is supportive and interested in what goes on in our classroom. He is also open to new ideas (even hiring Will Richardson for staff development next year). But he is not so tech savvie and I'm not sure he needs to be. As long as he believes that we need to be, I am happy. I, like Carolyn, just keep letting him know what is going on in and out of the classroom and he continues to be intrigued and educated.

Dave Bircher said...

Thx. Liz.

I have subscribed to this blog.

I am not sure if I am leading, but I continue to blog. I have a delicious account and am urging staff members to get one as well. Many have.

I know of a student teacher, in the states who blogs, and may be getting kicked out of his program. Do not know a lot of details but here is the link.

http://awaitingtenure.wordpress.com

Rashmi Kathuria said...

Dear Liz,
I felt writing after reading this post. This may be because I am a teacher, exploring, experimenting and implementing technolgy in classroom and beyond classroom . I feel a strong need of change of mind set at the higher levels, so that teachers can get a little of freedom on using tech comfortably. I think not all teachers are super heroes or super fast learners, they need time and continual support system.Also, a person at administrative level can appreciate the work ,if he/she knows its worth.
Let us hope for the best and keep up working with positive thoughts in accomplishing the mission.
All the Best!!

Unknown said...

My district is making a big technology push. Some of the district leaders are using tools, but many are not. What is expected from the teachers is not happening at the admin level. Exposure and training is the best way. I am taking an online blog class offered by the district this summer. It ought to be an inservice requirement for all.

Unknown said...

Liz,
Great thoughts, and great links.One small step I will take is to forward this to my administrator. Andrew Torres' story may spark a bit of curiousity.

I subscribed to your blog in Fall of '07 and have enjoyed your entries. I have started my own blog to share with my staff and community and will challenge a few admnistrators in the building to do the same.

SG

Katrina Lastinger said...

I feel that we as teachers are constantly incorporating the new curriculm changes into our teaching. We feel that our plate is full and do not have room to learn anything else. Sometimes we do not think about that some things may make it easier for us to handle things better as technology does. Everything is changing constantly, and that includes teaching responsibilities and technology. We need to learn the new forms of technology to help us with our teaching stategies. One of the hold backs today is being able to have financial backing for the trainings.