Sunday, December 16, 2007

Read the Fine Print!

Recently, I learned about a Website called Elfyourself from several different sources, including Twitter (of course) and my brother (who is not on Twitter). Elfyourself is a Website created by OfficeMax that will let you upload a picture of yourself and put it on top of a dancing Elf's body. You can send this elf to all of your friends as a holiday greeting. Sounds like fun... until you read the fine print.

I sign up for things constantly and rarely read the terms of use. I'm not sure why I decided to read these, but I'm glad I did. Among other things, when you upload your picture to the Elfyourself Website you agree to the "unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual and royalty-free right and license to use... distribute, display, publish, broadcast, transmit or otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever your submission throughout the universe, in perpetuity."

Who writes these things? If it weren't my picture I was worried about, I would be on the floor laughing about this. However, if I had any hope of running for office (which I don't at the moment), I might not be thrilled about a picture of my head on top of a dancing green elf's body that OfficeMax has the right to distribute, display and transmit throughout the universe in perpetuity.

Something to think about!

2 comments:

mathplayground said...

Liz,
Thanks for the warning. I rarely ever read the TOS on these free services. I'm feeling kind of good, though, about resisting the urge to use elfyourself this holiday season. It makes me wonder why they wrote such an agreement. What exactly do they have in mind? Scary.

Unknown said...

Interesting. I'd never read the fine print there, either. Although I tend to use widely distributed pictures of celebrities to make the dancing elves--they're just funnier than I am somehow. :-)

Trina