Monday, January 21, 2008

Getting Started With Twitter - Screencast

I know I've written about Twitter before (as have many other people), but Vicki Davis's recent blog posts inspired me to create a Screencast to help people get started using Twitter.

In this video I go over how to sign up, how to set up your account, how to find followers and how to download applications that will help make Twitter more useful to you. Throughout this Screencast, you will see my Twitter network at work. I hope this can help illustrate, especially for those of you who are visual learners, the power of Twitter.

The video was too long (20 minutes) for YouTube, so I am experimenting with blip.tv (Thanks to @kjarrett in my Twitter network). If you want to be able to stop, start, fast forward and download this video, you will want to click here to watch it. Also, my husband is renovating our basement right now, so the odd noises you hear in the background are not Darth Vader, but his pneumatic nail gun. I apologize in advance for that.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the screencast! This is my fourth day of being a Twitter and this really answered a lot of my questions.

Thanks
Bill
www.bloggingonthebay.org

Derrall said...

Hi lizdavis, I enjoyed the combination of applications you have assembled and the strong voice for advocacy in using twitter. Following a lot of information requires notification as soon as it arrives. For sharing my students and I have also taken to using skitch to annotate and upload many images.

I thought learning how to organize RSS was going to be a lifelong learning pursuit, and now PLN. These are very good reasons for attending conferences and joining in a conversation F to F,and for this I hope that it is not too far ahead of what many educators are ready for. Can someone be taken right into twitter without scaffolding? At what level is this an administrative tool? Just saw durff's tweet :)

Alec Couros said...

Thank you Liz, this will be a very useful link for my students in EC&I 831. http://eci831.wikispaces.com

Thanks so much!

megfritzphd said...

This is great, Liz! It is thorough and answers many questions that I had before I twittered...tweeted...whatever!! My students are going to love it. Twitter is difficult to explain so you captured it well.
Megan

Jeff said...

Thanks! Great screencast for the uninitiated and fledgling twitter'r (myself) alike!

Anonymous said...

Liz,
I enjoyed the video. It is a great tool.

Cheryloakes50 said...

Liz, this is the best!!! thanks for sharing.
Cheryl

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for letting me share this great presention, and I know you put it up to share but the librarian in me causes me to always ask. I am writing a column for Multimedia&Internet@School Journal. Incidentally I love their conferences, Internet Librarian/Internet@School, held annually in Monterey CA and DC. I always go to the CA one. Cheers and thanks again!--mabell

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Liz. I recently posted about my reservations and lack of understanding of how Twitter can be used effectively in Education. Please feel free to comment at my blog which receives a decent amount of traffic. (We're Classroom 2.0 connected)

missroomw said...

Hi Liz, I just watched your screen cast and wanted to say a big thank you! It was very useful for me as I am very new to Twitter. I have just created my first class blog and am wanting to provide an authentic audience for my students as well as develop a PLN. I have been told twitter is the way to do this but was feeling a bit bamboozled by it - so again thank you! Sue