Saturday, January 3, 2009

Beam Me Up Scotty!

My favorite part of the TV show Star Trek was the transporter. I loved the idea that in a few seconds you could be anywhere in the universe. Lately, I've been trying to think of metaphors to describe my professional learning network. I've been thinking that tools like Twitter, Plurk, Ning and Facebook have the power to beam me up to a world of learning whenever I need to be there.

I step in front of my computer, type the required Web address and in seconds I'm beamed to a location surrounded by interesting and intelligent people from all over the world. They offer me answers when I'm stuck, share their nuggets of wisdom when they are inspired and appreciate my excitement when I discover a new tool or have an idea. Thanks to all of you in my personal learning network for transporting me to so many fabulous places.

Do you have a metaphor for social networking, for personal learning networks, or for tools like Twitter? Can you help me complete these sentences?

Twitter is like a _______________ because __________
Social Networking is like a ____ ___ because __________
Personal Learning Networks are like ___ because _______
RSS is like ______ because __________

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this! I feel if I had some good metaphors, it would make it easier to explain these things.

Image source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tkksummers/2281147654/ from tkksummers' photostream
Post a Comment