Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rocking the Boat

"People all said 'sit down, sit down you're rockin' the boat'" -
Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat from Guys and Dolls by Frank Loesser

Coast Guard Boat in Morro Bay, CA 04 Dec 2007
mikebaird's photostream on flickr

I tend to avoid confrontation. I don't like conflict. And I really don't like it when people are angry with me. I am a people pleaser. I don't rock the boat. I might disagree in my head, but you won't see my negative comments on anyone's blog.

Blogging is a vulnerable adventure. By allowing people to comment on your thoughts, you open yourself up to the possibility of an attack. I always try to assume good intentions when I read other blogs, and I hope that people assume the same about me. We are all just people - no matter how "famous" or "popular" we are, mean comments hurt. So far I have only received positive responses to my blog. But, as I said before, I've been playing it safe.

Recently in the edublogosphere there has been some disagreement. The water is getting choppy. And, in my typical fashion, I've pretty much kept my mouth shut. I don't like to rock the boat. So much so, that I'm not even going to link to those blogs.

Am I a wimp? Should I be expressing my opinions even when they don't go along with the crowd? Are male bloggers more willing to make waves? What do you think? Please be nice ;)

Post a Comment